POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Chrome-like extruded object... : Chrome-like extruded object... Server Time
28 Jul 2024 16:23:34 EDT (-0400)
  Chrome-like extruded object...
From: this is me
Date: 15 Jun 2008 15:35:01
Message: <web.48556dd8c23a6d99bae00d80@news.povray.org>
What would be the best way to achieve the following:

Take your average cookie cutter, for example, and instead of it being made of a
thin band of metal, assume it's made of something thicker, so now what you have
is an extruded object with a thick cookie cutter outline.  I figured the best
way to go about making this in POV was to draw the thing in a drawing program,
and simply fill the interior with a gray color and the border with white.  I
then saved it as a PNG with a black matte around the whole picture.  In POV, I
used the PNG in a height field, and set the water level to 10/256 so the black
matte would be ignored.  So there it was, a pretty good rendered version of
what I had in mind.  Now here's the kicker.  My goal was to make this thing
pretty relfective - chrome-like - so I made those changes and rerendered.  I
noticed the front face of the object reflected real nice, but when I rotated it
over to see what the side surfaces looked like, things wheren't so good - it
wasn't mirror-like.  I guess I was seeing all the triangles that made up the
height field.  So the question is:  How *do* you make an extruded object that
looks like it was carved out of polished chrome?